Friday, August 6, 2010

Hey guys,
So yesterday was our last day at the village. It was really sad, because we had such a great week with the people and now most of us will never see them again. We had a lot of fun playing vollyball, running games, and making bracelets. I know I'll miss the village very much and I would love to come back and see them again. I hope our work there will show a difference when next year group travels.
Today we took a ride up a bumpy mountain to Phnom Kulen to see the Holy River. Luckly, it was a shorter ride than I thought and was defiantely worth it. First, we took a walk through the woods where there were giant rocks. This spot is extremely holy because at the top of a rock is a carving of the Buddha resting. It was quite a sight to see, especially since the rock was over 100 feet high. As we continued to walk, we saw other things like a Khmer Rouge camp and a fresh spring. Then we went to the Holy River. It was amazing! There are actually carvings at the bottom of the river and on the stones around the river. One of the best parts about the Holy River is that there are waterfalls. Not only were they beautiful but they were extremely refreshing after a sweaty hike. We all took a dip in the large pool beneath the falls. It was so nice. The second waterfall that some of us went to was a lot smaller, but full of adventure. The water paved a nice waterslide for us; our little group probably went down it ten times each. The only part that sucked was that I lost my bracelet that a girl my age at the village made for me. It was a really cool bracelet that she made and I lost it, not happy about it.
Anyways, tomorrow we will be off to Phemn Pen again for the Mohoasrop, an event where traditional Cambodian music, dance, and other forms of art are celebrated. This is our last night in Siem Reap and we've got a six hour bus ride ahead of us tomorrow at 7 am.

Kira

No comments:

Post a Comment